We are tremendously proud of our reputation as a fun, friendly, and accommodating crossword tournament. In order to ensure that The Indie 500 continues to be a safe and welcoming environment, we put forth the following Code of Conduct for all of our attendees:
- Harassment will not be tolerated. This includes but is not limited to: any kind of physical, verbal, or psychological abuse; threats, intimidation, and bullying; discriminatory remarks of any kind; and unwanted romantic attention or sexual harassment.
- Please be respectful of the space. Many of the furnishings belong to the venue, so please be sure to treat them with care. To ensure that we.re invited back next year, please clean up after yourself, leave everything as you found it, and do not bring drugs or alcohol onto the premises.
- If you see or experience a violation of the code of conduct, please find a director of the tournament (Angela Olson Halsted, Andy Kravis, Erik Agard, Neville Fogarty, Peter Broda). If you cannot find one of the five directors for whatever reason, talk to someone at the registration desk or a volunteer and have them find us.
- If you violate the code of conduct, we reserve the right to eject you from this and future tournaments without a refund.
- Be kind! The crossword community is made up of some of the nicest people on Earth. Many of us have a memory from our first crossword tournament of someone who made us feel welcome or at ease. If you're an old pro, do what you can to make The Indie 500 a welcoming environment for all solvers. If you're a rookie, welcome! To all competitors, we hope you have a great time, and we hope to see you at many future crossword events!